Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Daddy



I'm just not getting around to my Father's Day post, but you know what they say: "Better late than never."

This is probably my favorite photo of Daddy and me. The story goes that I would always sit on his shoulders and tap on his head until he looked up at me. Seems I've always had issues with being the center of attention...especially Daddy's attention.

Perhaps it's part of the "only child syndrome," but I've never been very good at sharing. "Mine" was probably my first word, and there should be no doubts that my daddy is just that -- mine. I never liked it when my friends would try to gain his attention by asking for help...or whatever...and thankfully such scenarios have waned as I've gotten older.

Still, no matter what happens in my life, no matter what anyone else says or thinks, I always -- always -- want to know what Daddy thinks. His opinion may or may not change mine, but it's crucial that I at least know what his is.

Ours is the type of relationship where we're either completely, companionably silent -- sometimes for hours -- or in the midst of a deep conversation, discussing topics that I often look back and wonder, "How did we ever start talking about that?"

I'm always at ease when Daddy is around 'cause I know that no matter what happens or what needs to be done, it will be handled. It will be handled in the cool, calm, and confident manner that Daddy handles most things; unfazed, just getting the job done in quiet strength while making the occasional humorous comment or observation. His presence is soothing; his personality is unique, often taking a while to figure out; and his love is intense and unconditional.

Daddy is a good man...and in case you didn't know, he's mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment