
You know that tingly feeling you get when anticipation is coursing through your body and you simply can't wait for something to begin? Well, that was me as I sat on the floor, literally inches from the TV screen on June 7th, waiting for the 2009 Tony Awards to begin.
And I was not disappointed...well, not much. As usual, I didn't 100% agree with the winners, but that happens every year. And while the opening number didn't quite measure up to the hype -- thanks to mishaps, sound issues, and general flow -- it did give the average Joe and Jane (if they were watching) a good feel for what's on Broadway right now.
Since the opening number ended with Hair, I want to begin there. While I'm not a huge fan of the show, it has received good reviews and has fantastic music. Case in point: no matter how much I resist, I always want to dance around like a crazy person when they sing "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In." Always. Especially after watching this particular performance because you can see that feeling on their faces. What feeling? Scroll down to the "Hooked on a Feeling" post, and you'll understand what I see. In the meantime, let's get funky.
Wasn't that fun? No wonder it won for "Best Revival of a Musical", right?
Guys & Dolls, which has received horrible reviews, was also a contender, but if this clip is representative of the entire show...well, no wonder it lost.
It's also too bad that West Side Story, which has received mixed reviews, didn't win "Best Revival of a Musical" but not all was lost for this beloved classic. Karen Olivo won "Best Performance By A Featured Actress In A Musical" for her portrayal of "Anita" -- and after watching this clip, you'll realize why.
While we're discussing musicals, let's talk about Billy Elliot and its win for "Best Musical". Since people have been swooning over this show, both in the U.S. and abroad, I figured this win was the one "given" of the night. Even if it hadn't received glowing reviews, it would still be hard to resist this hard-times musical. Check out this clip...and then if you get the chance, check out the show for yourself; you won't be sorry.
Wow. Dude...I want to spin up into the air like that!
Okay...moving on.
I'm most passionate about musicals, so the rest of this recap will move quickly.
God of Carnage won for "Best Play", and I encourage you to check out the website and view the media clip as well as the reviews. If you don't want to bother because you've never heard of this play in your entire life, I'll save you the trouble and tell you that while I've never seen it or read it, the premise is quite amusing (and realistic): "Two ostensibly civilized married couples meet up to sort out a playground fight. The son of one couple (Jeff Daniels and Hope Davis) has broken two of the teeth of the son of another (James Gandolfini and Marcia Gay Harden). At first diplomatic niceties are observed, but as the meeting progresses and the rum flows, huge tensions emerge and the gloves come off, leaving more than just their liberal principles in tatters."
I can see you buying tickets right now.
Okay, next up is the winner of "Best Revival of a Play": The Norman Conquests, which is actually three interlocking full-length plays that are written to be enjoyed individually or as a trilogy and can be seen in any order. Set in the dining room (Table Manners), living room (Living Together) and garden (Round and Round the Garden) of an English country house, each individual play -- although it can stand alone -- offers a different view of one comically catastrophic weekend, shared by six spouses and in-laws, at the family home in the country. It is hysterical, and if you don't believe me, just check out the media clips. Go ahead. I'll wait.
See? You really are buying tickets for this one, aren't you? I know I am.
Well, that about does it. I've covered the major highlights, and if you want more info, I suggest checking out that list of winners again.
As for me, I think I'll watch the Hair clip again and dance around like a crazy person.


No comments:
Post a Comment